Loading...

History of Bangkachao

The Past. The Present
Home > About Us > Bangkachao

History of Bangkachao

Bangkachao is the name of one of the six Tumbon, that altogether are called "Koh-Kra-Pro-Moo" or Pig's stomach island due to its distinctive shape. The area of this "island" consists of Tumbon Bang-Ka-Chao, 2,250 rai, Tumbon Bang-Kor-Bua, 2,612 rai, Tumbon Bang-Nam-Pueng 1,812.5 rai, Tumbon Bang-Yor 1265.9 rai, Tumbon Bang-Ka-Sob 1,387.5 rai, and Tumbon Trong-Ka-Nong 378.5 rai Today, "Koh-Kra-Pro-Moo" forms part of Prapradaeng district in Samut Prakarn Province. The island is almost encircled by Chao Phraya river. At the length of about 15 Kilometers around the island, the old saying goes that even the freshly cooked rice will be spoiled by the time one boat completes the distance.

Prapradaeng district was an old city dated back a thousand years ago with trace of Kom heritage. When the waterway was considered a main mode of transportation, Prapradaeng was called the "Mueng Na Dan" or the front line city as the gateway entering inner city. It was until King Phra Phutthaloetla Naphalai or Rama II, the second monarch of Siam under the House of Chakri, who gave its first official name as "Nakorn-Kuen-Kan". In 1930, Phra Mongkut Klao Chao Yu Hua , or Rama VI, the sixth monarch of Siam under the House of Chakri, replaced the previous name "Nakorn-Kuen-Kan" to "Mueng Prapradaeng" and annexed the city to Samut-Prakarn Province. The local business activity back then was primarily fruit plantations, orange, coconut, and mango to name a few.

Contrast to the slow pace of life you will find in Bangkachao, by crossing the river will put you near the heart of commercial, business, and lively entertainment district of Bangkok.

Other historical event

  • 1941 Japanese imperial army set up the camp in the island.
  • 1942 Major flood almost submerged the entire island.
  • 1945 The WWII ended.
  • 1955 "Petchahueng Rd", the first road into the island was built.
  • 1964 The six tumbon got first access to electricity.
  • 1977 The Government enforced the conservation of green area on the island.
  • 1991 The Government ordered major land expropriation on the six tambon to conserve green area but quickly changed it to an official buying offer due to fierce resistance from local fruit plantation owners.
  • 2006 Time magazine called Bangkachao the best urban oasis of Asia.

Bangkachao in the present

The rise of sea level, acidity in the water, and increasing pollutants from upstream industrial complex have endangered agricultural way of life for the fruit plantation farmers in six Tambon. Gradually, some farmers left the area or simply quit the plantation. Today as six Tambon became a famous bicycle destination for tourists due to its lush greenery, witnessing a stark scene of modern house situated among abandoned fruit plantations is increasingly common. As the pace of life becomes quicker here, maintaining this last natural treasure as the Best urban oasis in Asia will be increasingly challenging.